Friday, January 6, 2012

Tooth Extraction...Ugh

Jeff and I flew into Las Vegas for Christmas on December 21st (myself with a very bad toothache that's been there since March). Trying to ignore it and focus on Christmas...it just got worse. After discussing the matter in the past with dentists, endodontists, and oral surgeons and receiving three root canals on the same tooth, and learning I had an infection that had begun eating away the bone of my poor tooth, I decided to have it removed the next day. Nothing says "excited for Christmas" like having your tooth sawed into 7 pieces and pulled out three days beforehand, right?

It wasn't the worst experience of my life...(that award goes to the pulling of my 4 wisdom teeth in high school), but it sure wasn't pleasant. The surgery came with all the accessories: the gauge, the pain medication, the gaping hole in the very back of my mouth, the soft foods, etc. In fact, I've never taken pain medication before and I hope never to again. The stuff made me feel similar to what I assume it would feel like to be drunk. I tried to help my mom by putting out dinner for the Christmas Eve get-together, and after noticing several of my odd behaviors, like overflowing the bowl of potato salad and wobbling my way around the kitchen she politely said, "Actually, thanks anyway honey, but I think I'll take it from here." The good news was that by Christmas day the pain had almost completely subsided and I was no longer in need of the medicine (I was very grateful and threw it away).

Here are some Before and After Surgery Pictures: (Yes they look the same becuase the tooth that's now missing is, again, in the very back of my mouth, but I've always wanted to post some Before and After Pictures on my blog)

BEFORE:


AFTER:



I miss my tooth, but will be getting an implant soon...and I'll let you know how that goes.

2 comments:

Andrea Dawn said...

Haha, love the before and after pictures! :) You look great! Love you!

Stephanie said...

Your after picture shows off your glowing white bicuspids that are still around. What a beautiful smile you have Jilly! I had no idea about the years of your toothaches, but I'm glad that pesky tooth can't bother you anymore. I miss you buddy!