Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Robbers Already?

One morning as Jeff was leaving for school, he gave me a kiss goodbye (I woke up less than halfway), I heard him go out the front door, and fell right back to sleep. An hour later, I thought I heard some voices and I sleepily figured, it's probably Jeff talking on his phone. "Wait a minute," I thought, "Jeff's not at home!" After this realization, I was fully awake, alert...and scared as I laid in bed...listening. Again I heard voices, louder this time. They were hispanic and they were laughing and speaking in tongues I could not understand. I immediately covered my head with blankets...still listening and trying to improvise a plan for the robbers that had somehow found their way into my apartment this morning. I thought, "Maybe I'll just lay here, and they won't notice me. No Jill, that's not very smart...you've gotta do something before they steal all your cute decorations and big screen TV!" So I flung the covers off my head, sat up in bed, and yelled..."HELLO?" In response to my inquiry, the voices stopped and I heard, "Hello? Hi...Maintenance! We didn't know anyone was here. There's a severe water leak and we came to fix it. We knocked and yelled to make sure nobody was home but we didn't get an answer so we let ourselves in to fix it." At this point I was: relieved that they weren't robbers (the maintenance guys for our apartment complex are actually really friendly), frustrated that management allows their maintenance workers to go into an apartment that has no answer (It's not my fault I'm a deep sleeper), and humored because well...it was just a funny situation. What a warm welcome to El Paso :)

2 comments:

Carlie said...

That would be so scary! I am glad it was not really robbers!

Andrea Dawn said...

Phew! The title of this post had me really worried! I'm glad everything is okay!